Blog Post #3

As a teacher I would navigate copyright and fair use guidelines but predominately creating my own original material to teach. This means creating my own presentations, worksheets, and classroom aids. When using other people's work I would ensure I am properly citing and giving credit to the creator. Finally, when creating my own original material is not possible, I would use open educational resources available. In terms of student work, I would ensure my students know the basic concepts of copyright and fair use in accordance with their learning level. I would encourage students to cite their work when taking information off the internet. One question that I still have about copyright and fair use is if there is some sort of universal guideline to how much work taken constitutes "too much."

The technology implementation issue I'll focus on is academic dishonesty. With the growing accessibility of the internet and AI, it can be easy for students to plagiarize. Rather than simply discouraging academic dishonestly, I would address this issue by integrating the proper uses of online resources and AI into the classroom. This means encouraging students to use all of the resources available to them in a way that enhances their learning rather than allowing these resources to do the work for them. 

I believe that generative AI is both helping and hurting student learning. I believe that it helps student learning in that it can explain new concepts to students in an efficient and straightforward way. But, with how fast AI came up, I believe that it is hurting learning because students do not know how to properly use AI. Rather that using AI to do the work for a student, students should use AI to explore the foundation of new concepts, as the basis of research, or as a built in peer reviewer. To promote this, I believe that educators should encourage the proper use of AI in the classroom to encourage learning enhancement overall. 

In creating my newsletter I learned new techniques specifically in adjusting spacing and formatting of a Word Document. Because I predominately use Google Docs, I experienced several learning curves in the beginning. In the future I believe that I would add more graphics to the newsletter and potentially create a template to make drafting the newsletter more efficient. While I do not plan to be a teacher in the future, I do send out a bi-weekly newsletter at my current job and the skills I learned through this assignment will allow me to make my work newsletter more aesthetically pleasing in the future. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #9

Teacher Professional Development