Blog Post #2
All throughout middle school, high school, and college I have had to use word processing software for assignments. In middle and high school I would use the word processing software, print the completed project, and turn in a paper copy. Now, in college, I instead submit a digital copy through Canvas. While I used Microsoft Word for many years and the Pages for a lot of high school, I have grown to prefer Google Docs more than the other two. I prefer Google Docs because I like the auto save features and how easy it is to integrate resources like Google Sheets and other Google Docs into the documents. I have also found that it is easier to convert Google Docs to MS Word Documents or PDFs with less formatting issues than Pages.
The most meaningful ISTE standard for me is leader. I believe that it is very important that every students feels empowered to learn and understand that this begins with my leadership. In learning about the ISTE standards for educators I have learned that being a leader goes beyond good teaching skills and also means understanding differences in accessibility and interests between students. I believe that one way good leadership can cultivate in the classroom is by providing students with the autonomy to determine the best ways to utilize technology in completing an assignment or project.
I do agree with the label "digital native" for today's youth as they have grown up with technology intersecting with their day-to-day life. I have also seen some significant differences with the way I, as a student, and my peers use technology in comparison to teachers. In many instances I have seen that teachers struggle with technology or expect students to use outdated programs for courses, hindering the learning experience overall. With this in mind, it is very important for me that I continue to stay up-to-date and teach myself how to use the newest programs and technologies so that I can offer the best learning experience for my students who will be growing up in a more technologically advanced time than even I did.

Hi Alexis! While I felt a deeper connection to the "collaborator" standard, I like your reasoning behind picking the "leader" one. It is incredibly important to recognize how being a leader also means accepting differences in others and I am so glad you recognized this. I also liked how you included an example on how to cultivate leadership in the classroom, displaying how you are being proactive in this approach. In addition to this, I also agree with your thoughts regarding "digital natives" and the differences among "digital immigrants". While it is obvious teachers are not intending to hinder students' learning through this, there could be new ways to help keep teachers up to date on the technology.
ReplyDelete